EAPUOC is dedicated to ensuring timely flow of information. Please check here often to learn about new developments, fresh resources and exciting events.
Event focuses on partnerships that protect underground infrastructure and public safety
March 2, 2019 Edmonton, AB– Local historians, municipal government, safety advocates and the capital region’s underground infrastructure operators marked the 40th anniversary of one of the largest peacetime civic evacuations on record at the Mill Woods Public Library this Saturday.
On March 2, 1979, first responders safely shepherded 19,000 Mill Woods residents from their homes following the rupture of an underground propane pipeline and subsequent fire that burned for 16 hours. The incident lasted for two days and was later attributed to an accidental and unreported contact with a propane pipeline.
“This unprecedented chain of events was certainly a defining moment for our city,” explains Former Mayor Cecil Purves. “Not only did it bring people together, it was the catalyst for positive changes that have helped to protect our community going forward.”
Listed below are the dates of EAPUOC’s 2019 Meetings. Unless otherwise advised, the meetings will be staged in Community Centre Meeting Room #2, Annex Building, Strathcona County Offices, 2001 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park, Alberta. The Community Awareness Committee and General Committee Meetings are staged on the same days. The former commences at 8:00 a.m. and adjourns at approximately 9:00 a.m., with the latter commencing at 9:00 a.m. and adjourning at 12:00 noon. Please mark your calendars accordingly:
- January 16th
- February 20th
- March 20th
- April 17th
- May 15th
- June 12th - Meeting/Annual Golf Tournament - Broadmoor Public Golf Course, Sherwood Park, Alberta
- September 18th
- October 16th
- November 20th
- December 18th – Raleigh Room, Clarion Hotel & Conference Centre, Sherwood Park, Alberta
COMMUNITY AWARENESS COMMITTEE
2018 was an exceptionally busy and exciting year for the Community Awareness Committee!
As of April 1st, 2018 Terry Emslie will assume the role of EAPUOC/Alberta One-Call's Community Awareness Ambassador. Congratulations and welcome to the fold Terry!
Below are the PowerPoint slides from the presentations at the 2017 Safety Seminar and Trade Show.
- Jason Greidanus' Presentation: "Mental Health First Aid - Impacts of Disaster on Secondary Responders"
- Dr. Louis Francescutti's Presentation: "The Humanity of it All - Staying Alive and Healthy"
- Arthur Nordholm's Presentation: "Sinking of the Deepwater Horizon - The Investigation"
- Mike Sullivan's Presentation: "Takin' Care of Business"